Every Monday we send out an email recapping what’s been on the YC blog and some of the top posts on Hacker News.
YC is Hiring an Office Manager
We’re looking for an experienced and energetic office manager who will be responsible for ensuring the office runs like a well-oiled machine.
This is a full-time, mid-level position in our San Francisco office with occasional support in our Mountain View office. The office manager will be part of the operations team and will report directly to the CEO.
How to Raise Money, and How to Succeed Long-Term – Jess Lee, Aaron Harris, & Ali Rowghani
Jess Lee (Partner at Sequoia Capital) and Aaron Harris (Partner at YC) discuss raising money as an early stage company, and how to think about the fundraising process. Ali Rowghani (CEO of YC Continuity, previously CFO, COO @ Twitter, CFO @ Pixar) shares his thoughts on how to be a great leader and succeed long-term.
Scaling Product at Airbnb with Joe Gebbia and Reid Hoffman
Co-founder of Airbnb, Joe Gebbia, sits down with Reid Hoffman to talk about scaling the product for Airbnb, and how they thought about designing the full chain of the travel experience (not just the accommodations element).
Live Office Hours with Kevin Hale and Dalton Caldwell
Kevin Hale, Partner at Y Combinator, and Dalton Caldwell, Director of Admissions and Partner at Y Combinator, join us today to hold office hours with three startups: HubHaus, Lambda Intelligence, and Commaful.
Podcast – Rick and Morty Writer: Ryan Ridley
Ryan Ridley is a writer on Rick and Morty. Before that he was a writer on Community. We talk about the sci-fi elements of the show, their new VR game Virtual Rick-ality, and Ryan’s advice for creators.
WittyThumbs (S17) wants to improve online-dating conversations
WittyThumbs helps people improve their dating lives by teaching them how to open up emotionally, be more comfortable being authentic, spend their time effectively, reduce anxiety, and set clear expectations for themselves and others. Here are some of their answers to the YC application.
Top Posts on Hacker News
• WSJ Ends Google Users’ Free Ride, Then Fades in Search Results
• WebAssembly 101: A developer’s first steps
• L.A.’s crisis: High rents, low pay, and $2k doesn’t buy much
• Secret Dots from Printer Outed NSA Leaker
• List of Printers Which Do or Do Not Display Tracking Dots
• Show HN: Monica, an open-source CRM to manage friends and family
• Alex Honnold Scales El Capitan Without Ropes, and the Climbing World Reels
• A subway-style diagram of the major Roman roads, based on the Empire ca. 125 AD
• In 1957, Five Men Agreed to Stand Under an Exploding Nuclear Bomb (2012)
• Why Infrastructure Is So Expensive
• Options vs. Cash
• Ask HN: What are we doing about Facebook, Google, and the closed internet?
• Pirate Joe’s, Maverick Distributor of Trader Joe’s Products, Shuts Down
• Intel fires warning shots at Microsoft, says x86 emulation is a patent minefield
• Please Make Google AMP Optional
• $80k/month App Store Scam
• Hackers Are Hijacking Phone Numbers and Breaking into Email, Bank Accounts
• The relationship between mindset and getting old