Recently we made an announcement of a significant change in how we finance companies and, indeed, how we recommend that any startup raise seed financing. We released a new kind of safe, or simple agreement for future equity – a type of convertible security – called a post-money safe.Oct 22, 2018
Geoff is a Partner at YC. He was a founder of Four11, where he built RocketMail, one of the first web mail services, which in 1997 became Yahoo Mail. At Yahoo Geoff worked in engineering, then ran a business unit, then became Chief Product Officer. After Yahoo he was CEO of Lala, which was acquired in 2009 by Apple. He cofounded Imagine K12, the first Ed Tech accelerator, which funded companies like ClassDojo and Remind, and merged with YC in 2016. He has an AB in Computer Science from Dartmouth, an MS in Computer Science from Stanford, and an MBA from INSEAD.
We messed up and sent acceptance emails to many Startup School applicants who we didn’t previously have a place for. We’ve decided to use this error as an opportunity to try something new: we’re going to let in every company that applied to Startup School.Aug 20, 2018
Two weeks ago we announced Startup School 2018. Our free, online course will kick off in just three weeks, on August 28th. We also let founders know that 100 of the companies that complete the course will receive $10,000 in equity-free funding from YC.
This year’s course will feature revamped software and all new material which will be added to the extraordinary library of startup content YC has collected over the past two years of Startup School and the many years of working with and writing about startups. This work is being collected at startupschool.org/library.
We’re hosting Startup School again this year. Startup School is a free, 10-week, online course. It’s designed for any startup founder who would like to get help through the earliest, most difficult challenges of starting a company. The course will begin on August 27, 2018 and applications are now open at StartupSchool.org.Jul 18, 2018
Last year, for the first time, we taught a MOOC (massively open online course) for startup founders called Startup School. This year, we’re adding a new course called Startup Investor School which will teach the basics of seed (early) stage startup investing to anyone interested. Applications are open starting today.Feb 1, 2018
A lot of the advice we give startups is tactical; meant to be helpful on a day to day or week to week basis. But some advice is more fundamental. We’ve collected here what we at YC consider the most important, most transformative advice for startups. Whether common sense or counter-intuitive, the guidance below will help most startups find their path to success.Sep 25, 2017
Before CRISPR, genetic engineering was slow, expensive, and inaccurate. With CRISPR, genome editing is cheap, accurate, and repeatable. This is the story of CRISPR, concluding with a discussion of Gene Drive, a biological technique which, when used with CRISPR, gives even greater power to genetic engineers.Apr 3, 2017
- Hacker News Highlights August to November 2018 December 4, 2018 | Hacker News
- Michael Seibel on Starting a Startup, Finding Product Market Fit, and Fundraising November 28, 2018 | Interview, Podcast, Video
- YC’s Essential Startup Advice September 25, 2017 | Advice
- Learning Math for Machine Learning August 1, 2018 | Advice, AI, Paths
- Leonard Susskind on Richard Feynman, the Holographic Principle, and Unanswered Questions in Physics December 6, 2018 | Interview, Podcast, Video
- The YC Seed Deck Template March 12, 2018 | Advice
- A Guide to Seed Fundraising January 7, 2016 | Advice, Essay
- Sam Altman on Choosing Projects, Creating Value, and Finding Purpose November 8, 2018 | Interview, Podcast, Video
- How to Design a Better Pitch Deck November 15, 2015 | Advice, Startups
- How to Split Equity Among Co-Founders December 2, 2015 | Advice, Essay, Startup School