The Y Combinator Summer Internship Program is for undergraduate & graduate students in software engineering & data science who want to intern at a YC-backed startup.
At a YC startup, you’ll jump into fast-paced, mission critical projects from day one, work directly with founders and early engineers, and build real-world software development skills. At the end of the summer, you’ll look back and see features you built running in production.
As a program participant, you’ll have access to:
- Invite-only events with YC partners and founders, including select YC S20 founder dinners
- A community of ambitious and entrepreneurial students (and maybe even your future co-founder)
- 1-1 mentorship and networking with YC founders and industry veterans
We ran the program in Summer 2019, and students had the following to say about their experience:
- “Even as an intern, I had a say in key decisions of our startup. And then I got to actually build and ship the ideas I came up with.” — Andrew Burns, Balto
- “I got to learn directly from senior engineers who previously were at Google, and work in a small team to solve very complex problems.” — Janhavi Dahihande, Thunkable
- “Our dinner with Michael Siebel was amazing. His stories on starting Twitch and working with startups were both terrifying and inspiring.” — Ethan Naluz, Gordian Software
The 2020 Summer batch of YC companies spans a wide range of industries and sizes, include enterprise software (Front, Sourceress), developer tooling & productivity (ReadMe, CodeStream), analytics (Chart.io) and medicine/healthcare (Coral Genomics, Togg). And an additional 400+ companies are also listed on the platform and looking to hire part-time and full-time roles.
If you might want to join a startup full-time (or start your own someday), working at an early stage company is the best way to find out what it’s like. And because we know that interns learn a lot of valuable skills at our startups, we’ll also give special consideration to anyone who interns at a YC company and then goes on to apply to YC as a founder.
Visit workatastartup.com/internships to learn more about the program, see participating companies and submit your application.