Y Combinator created a new model for funding early stage startups. Twice a year we invest a small amount of money ($120k) in a large number of startups (recently 105). The startups move to Silicon Valley for 3 months, during which we work intensively with them to get the company into the best possible shape and refine their pitch to investors. Each cycle culminates in Demo Day, when the startups present their companies to a carefully selected, invite-only audience. But YC doesn’t end on Demo Day. We and the YC alumni network continue to help founders for the life of their company, and beyond.
A conversation about business schools and startups with Jeff Bussgang, a lecturer at Harvard Business School and General Partner at Flybridge Capital Partners. Jeff called in to talk with Michael Seibel after Michael tweeted about trends he saw in YC applications from MBAs. Since we recorded this interview, HBS announced a joint degree program that combines their MBA with an MS degree, which you can learn more about on Jeff’s blog.Jun 21, 2017
Tim Hwang is the Global Public Policy Lead on AI and Machine Learning for Google. What that means is Tim interacts with governments to inform Google’s opinions on policy. He also helps educate governments on what things like machine learning actually mean and what the implications might be. In this episode Tim walks us through how governments are thinking about AI and he shares some thoughts on what the future might look like.Jun 16, 2017
Py is an education app for iOS and Android that teaches topics like app development, building websites and data science. They launched their Android app this week. You can download the app and learn more on: Hacker News, Product Hunt, and TechCrunch.
Ali Rowghani is CEO of Y Combinator Continuity, where he invests in and advises growth-stage startups. Questions include: How do you retain executives? What are the most common mistakes you have seen growth stage founders make? What does an ideal board look like?Jun 14, 2017
- Paul Buchheit on Lessons Learned from Investing in 200+ Startups Interview June 1, 2017
- A Guide to Seed Fundraising Essay January 7, 2016
- Welcome Eric, Gustaf, and Jocelyn YC News June 21, 2017
- How Should Business Schools Prepare Students for Startups? – Jeff Bussgang and Michael Seibel Video June 21, 2017
- A Minimum Viable Product Is Not a Product, It’s a Process Essay January 22, 2016
- On Growing: 7 Lessons from the Story of WeChat YC Continuity April 12, 2017
- How to Split Equity Among Co-Founders Startup School December 2, 2015
- How to Raise Money, and How to Succeed Long-Term – Jess Lee, Aaron Harris, & Ali Rowghani Video June 8, 2017
- At the Intersection of AI, Governments, and Google – Tim Hwang Video June 16, 2017
- How to Get into VR Paths May 3, 2017